There are small victories like when the bathroom scales report one less pound than the day before, and large ones like those two in 1945—VE Day (Victory in Europe) and VJ Day (Victory in Japan)—which marked the end of the world’s greatest war. In between the small and large are daily victories we celebrate silently or call the one we love to give the good report.
Defeats, large and small, we absorb, either to study them and learn from them or to forget them and add them to the memories we would love to discard.
In large measure, victory is a choice.
- We choose the right battles to fight.
- We select the proper weapons to wield.
- We join the army that has the strength and wherewithal to win.
- We follow the General with both the will to take on the enemy and the might to defeat him.
Today, we choose to fight the good fight of faith.
- That is, we choose to live right in a world gone wrong.
- We select weapons for our warfare that are spiritual and mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds.
- We march in the Army of God who defeats the terrible foe with a song.
- We follow Jesus who is the Victor, the complete Master of all time and space.
The battle today will not be easy. The enemy is strong and wily. Deceit and despair are his artillery and he has strewn the roadway with mines. But we tread carefully, placing each step in a nail scarred footprint. Jesus has gone this way before us. He has clearly marked the hazards. He knows the enemy’s secret schemes.
He has gone head-to-head with the enemy of our souls,
- in the wilderness of temptation,
- in the war of words with the religionists,
- in the battles for the lives of those tormented by demons and disease,
- in the Garden of prayer and unlawful arrest,
- in the betrayal of a dear and trusted friend,
- in the legal courts of men,
- under the lash of man’s wrath,
- under the cross on the Via Doloroso,
- on the cross at Mt. Calvary,
- in the regions of hell to wrest the keys of death, hell and the grave from Satan’s grip,
- in the tomb where death reigned supreme over His body until the Holy Spirit, who had overshadowed Mary to give Jesus human life, invaded His burial chamber to give him resurrected life, and
- in the Throne Room of Heaven to wear the Victor’s Crown for all eternity.
Victory is our choice today because Jesus is our choice. Temporary setbacks will occur but they do not have the final word. The final word is “Victory” and Jesus has spoken it.
1 Corinthians 15:54-58
When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
Lord Jesus, You are the absolute Victor. Hell falls silent when You open Your mouth to speak. Demons tremble at the sound of Your Name. Darkness flees away at Your entrance for You are absolute Light. My sins are gone because You sent them away. I sleep well because Your angels stand guard over my pillow. The path of life before me is clear because You walk ahead of me, Your footsteps blessing the earth with peace. You will never be defeated. But, Lord, when I feel I am at risk and that enemies rise up against me, You are a shield to me, my glory and the lifter of my head. I will walk in Your victory because You walk in me. I say to the day ahead, “Bring out your best, do your worst, I am not afraid. The Victor walks in me invincible!” Thank You, Lord Jesus! Amen
Words and Music: B.E. Warren
1. Hallelujah, what a thought! Jesus full salvation brought, Victory, Victory!
Let the powers of sin assail, heaven’s grace can never fail, Victory, Victory!
Victory, yes victory; Hallelujah! I am free, Jesus gives me victory.
Glory, glory, Hallelujah! He is all in all to me.
2. I am trusting in the Lord, I am standing on His Word, Victory, Victory!
I have peace and joy within, Since my life is free from sin, Victory, Victory!
3. Shout your freedom everywhere, His eternal peace declare, Victory, Victory!
Let us sing it here below in the face of every foe, Victory, Victory!
4. We will sing it on that shore, when this fleeting life is o’er Victory, Victory!
Sing it here, ye ransomed throng, start the everlasting song: Victory, Victory!
© 2017 Stephen R. Phifer All Rights Reserved