Knowing God’s will is one thing. Doing His will is something else again. Courage is required.
Accomplishing something in this life is a matter of timing, skill, opportunity, sensitivity and often, sacrifice. What it does not require is luck.
Luck is all about randomness, chance, and unpredictable circumstances. Luck has absolutely no role to play for someone who seeks to know and to do God’s will. We confess that our lives are in God’s hands, our very steps are ordered by the Lord each day. This amazing grace comes to us contained in our free will. We have the choice to follow the Lord’s leadership or to go off on our own. When we choose to follow Him, He begins to order our steps and those of others who may or may not be following Him.
The people we need to meet will be right where we need them, right on cue. The things we really need will be in our hands when we need them. The words we need to speak will be in our mouths just when they need to be spoken, and on and on this grace goes.
Who needs something as puny and fickle as luck? We have a Heavenly Father who knows our every need, a Savior who has defeated and disarmed our every foe and a Holy Spirit who reveals to us the knowledge we need and the power it will take to do the works God has lined out for us. Knowing these things should fill our hearts with courage.
What about the things we need?
- We need to understand God’s time as well as His will. When we experience delays, it is often because He is at work in someone else’s life who has a necessary role to play.
- We need to develop the skills required by the calling of God on our lives. While the work of eternity is done by the Spirit, He uses our humanity as a channel through which to work.
- We need to recognize the opportunities God brings to us. He will close some doors and open others. We must know the difference. There will be no need to bang on a door He has closed but there is a need to go through one He has opened.
- We must be sensitive to the ways of the Holy Spirit and to the feelings of those who work with us.
To the Lord Jesus, the process is just as important as the product.
- Don’t knock on wood—work on your skills.
- Don’t cross your fingers—check your heart.
- Don’t trust to luck—you don’t need it. Trust in God.
Take courage. He will lead you every step of the way.
Psalm 37:23-24 NKJV
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand
In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
1 Chronicles 28:20 KJV.
And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD.
Lord Jesus, I renounce luck. I abandon political connections. I refuse any personal power I might imagine that I possess. I pour contempt on all my pride. I don’t need these carnal contraptions. You are my focus, the center of my life, the source of my success. Your voice is the song in my ears. Your peace is the pace of heart, calm in battle or storm, strong in stress, and joyful in thanksgiving and praise. Your abiding Spirit empowers me from the inside out. You lead me in paths of righteousness for Your name’s sake. Your are my courage for the tasks ahead this day. In Your Holy Name, Amen.
Rise Up, O Saints of God
Text: William P. Merrill, altered; Music: Aaron Williams
1. Rise up, O Saints of God! Have done with lesser things;
Give heart and soul and mind and strength to serve the King of kings.
2. Rise up, O Saints of God! His Kingdom tarries long;
Bring in the day of brotherhood And end the night of wrong.
3. Rise up, O Saints of God! The Church for you doth wait,
Her strength unequal to her task, Rise up and make her great!
4. Lift High the Cross of Christ! Tread where His feet have trod;
As followers of the Son of Man, Rise up, O Church of God!
© 2017 Stephen R. Phifer All Rights Reserved